Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Little Math In Your Life...

It is end-of-the-year review time!!!  I was looking for a fun little craft/activity that I could have my kids do that would also reinforce some of the math skills that we have been studying this year...and it hit me!  Well, my idea wasn't anything special, but I do think that it was effective.  My kids had a great time (always a bonus), they were able to demonstrate their knowledge of various math skills, and I was able to see exactly which kids were going to need a bit of extra review before sending them on to second grade.

Here are the directions that I gave them:
1. Pick a number between 50-100
2. Represent that number as a word
3. Represent that number as tally marks
4. Represent that number as base 10 blocks
5. Create six addition or subtraction problems where your number is the answer
(I told my kids that they couldn't use the "old faithfuls" (50+0, 50-0, 49+1, etc)

Each student completed the assignment on a plain sheet of paper...boring, I know...maybe a cute little graphic organizer will get made soon.  They turned them in and conferenced either with me or with Mrs. Phillips (my awesome para-pro).  We made sure all of the information was correct and then we set off to make a cute little spring scene.




The students put their tally marks inside the sun, their base 10 blocks inside of a cloud, their addition and subtraction facts inside of the petals, and the number word on the stem.  Here are some close-ups of a couple of different projects.



LOVE THEM!!  They look great displayed in the hall too!

Authors' Tea is Thursday...so we are practicing like crazy this week.  I can't wait to show you some of our fabulous books!

No comments:

Post a Comment